The University Libraries invites you to learn more about the founding, history, and traditions of George Mason University. This site contains seven exhibits representing eras in the University's development, featuring digitized documents, photographs, video, audio, and other artifacts from the University Archives. Start exploring the exhibits below orbrowse the artifacts.

  • 1964

    a look back...

    Photograph taken by Richard M. Sparks of students listening to student government debates in the meeting hall of the Bailey's Crossroads Volunteer Fire Department meeting hall, April 1964. The fire department was located next door to George Mason College on Route 7.

  • 1964

    a look back...

    Front and back of photograph of construction of the South Building (today Krug Hall) George Mason College, Fairfax, Virginia campus taken March 27, 1964. 8" x 10" photograph print; black and white.

  • 1979

    a look back...

    Photograph of George Mason University president, George W. Johnson captured during his inaugural speech, April 7, 1979. The event took place in the gymnasium of the Physical Education Building (later renamed the Recreation and Athletics Complex or RAC).

  • 1990

    a look back...

    Aerial photograph of Patriot Center ca. 1990. Image is from a 35 mm slide; color.

  • 1965

    a look back...

    Aerial photograph portraying the newly-built George Mason College, Fairfax campus, ca. 1965. Buildings from top left are: East, South, West, and North. 5" x 7" photograph print; black and white.

  • 1968

    a look back...

    Students of the first graduating class of George Mason College as a four-year institution receiving diplomas during first Commencement, June 9, 1968. Handing out diplomas in the center is Chancellor, Lorin A. Thompson, and seated at right is speaker, Dr. Prince B.Woodard, Chairman of the…

  • 1979

    a look back...

    Dean Ralph N. Norvell stands at the north side of the George Mason University School of Law building at 3351 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington Virginia. This building was originally a Kann's department store before the International School of Law acquired it in 1975. This photo was taken…

  • 1970

    a look back...

    Green and gold decal featuring the seal of the University of Virginia along with the words: George Mason College. Manufactured by the Chicago Pennant Company, ca. 1970. Image measures 8.3" wide by 6.8" high; color.

  • 1956

    a look back...

    Photostatic copy of Virginia House of Delegates Joint Resolution No. 5, establishing a Northern Virginia branch of the University of Virginia, February 24, 1956.

  • 2007

    a look back...

    Aerial photograph of part of the George Mason University, Fairfax campus published in the Winter 2007 issue of The Mason Spirit, on page 28. In the right-hand frame the George W. Johnson Learning Center can be seen. Above it, Patriot Center and Innovation Hall. In the center of the frame,…