The University Libraries invites you to learn more about the founding, history, and traditions of George Mason University. This site contains seven exhibits representing eras in the University's development, featuring digitized documents, photographs, video, audio, and other artifacts from the University Archives. Start exploring the exhibits below orbrowse the artifacts.

  • 1970

    a look back...

    Photograph of two individuals standing on top of the covered walkway on the eastern side of the West Building. They are posing next to a sign reading: "U.S. Out of Southeast Asia Free All Political Prisoners." Original imge is a 3" x 4" print; black and white.

  • 1967

    a look back...

    Photograph depicting the construction of the Lecture Hall taken in 1967. Fenwick Library (also under construction) can be seen in the background. 8" x 10" print; black and white.

  • 1995

    a look back...

    Photograph of the interior of the University Learning Center portraying three levels of the building. Photograph was taken in 1995, shortly after the facility opened. In Spring 1996 the building was renamed the George W. Johnson Learning Center in honor of retiring University President…

  • 1985

    a look back...

    Photograph of a student in the Plan for Alternative General Education (PAGE) program works on a computer in the PAGE student lounge. Original image is 3" X 5" print; black and white.

  • 1994

    a look back...

    Photograph of the St. Robert Bellarmine Chapel located on Roberts Road in Fairfax. This photograph was taken on December 3, 1994 the day of its dedication. Photo is 5" x 7"; black and white.

  • 1971

    a look back...

    Photograph of an architectural sketch for the Physical Education Building completed in 1972 and now known as the Recreation and Athletics Complex (RAC). This appears to be a fairly late sketch, as it very accurately depicts the look of the final building. Photo had two strips of paper…

  • 1963

    a look back...

    Photograph of freshman student and founding editor of the Gunston Ledger, Helen H. Momsen (Johnson). Photograph was taken on the grounds of the Bailey's Crossroads campus on March 10, 1963 by fellow stident Richard Sparks.

  • 1953

    a look back...

    Photograph of John Norville Gibson Finley at his desk at the Northern Virgnia University Center on the campus of Washington-Lee High School, Arlington, Va.

  • 1955

    a look back...

    Carbon copy of Finley's reply to E. DeLong Bowman's letter of December 27, 1954 in which Bowman informs Finley of the offer of land he and his brother, A. Smith Bowman have made to President Colgate W. Darden, Jr. of the University of Virginia on which to build a branch college. January…

  • 1993

    a look back...

    Reproduction of the First Floor Plan, University Learning Center (later the George W. Johnson Learning Center). Construction on this building was completed in 1995. This reproduction is most likely from 1993. 8.5" x 11", photostatic reproduction; black and white.