Moving out of Bailey's Crossroads Elementary School building, August 1964.
Bailey's Crossroads (Va.)
Film portraying the moving out of George Mason College from the original building at Bailey's Crossroads to the new campus at Fairfax. Director Robert H. Reid and chemistry professor, Hyman Feinstein can be seen in the film.
The initial scene of this video was either shot on the same reel prior to the Bailey's filming or spliced in later. It is taken from a film of a tour of the nearly completed Fairfax Campus which was given in July 1964.
This film can be viewed here:
Classes began at the new University College in 1957 in a temporary building while a permanent site was being chosen. To satisfy this immediate need, an offer was made by the Fairfax County Schools to lease a recently-abandoned elementary school located on the south side of Columbia Pike, near Lake Barcroft. The owner of the building, Fairfax County Public Schools, agreed to lease the building to UVa for six-hundred dollars per year. The Bailey’s Crossroads School, located at 5836 Columbia Pike, was built in 1922 and had eight classrooms. Though it had fallen into disrepair after thirty-four years, the building was serviceable and affordable. On August 26 and 27, 1964 George Mason College relocated to the campus in Fairfax.
Run time is 4 minutes.
A still photograph from the move can be viewed here: